Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Stainglass Mallard

This was a very big challenge to say the least. I was not able to start cutting this out until Christmas Eve morning, and this had to be done by the morning of the 26th. Which I made the deadline, but it was an all nighter. I finished the stainglass bears on Saturday morning, and had to my parents house for Christmas eve dinner of which I usually make every year. When I finished the bears, I realized I need to get some more supplies or I am not going to be able to finish this duck piece. The store I get my supplies is at least 40 miles away from my house. Not a quick trip to make. So I buy stuff for the dinner and head to my parents house, start the dinner going and mom and I head out on a quick road trip. I was in the store 8 minutes, the trip took me just over 2 hours from start to finish. Did I forget to mention that we were in the middle of getting my parents house ready for a wedding reception also, that took place today. Nothing like lots of deadlines for a holiday weekend. Mom and I got home in time to get ready to go to church for the Christmas eve service. After church we all sat down to dinner and then mom and I wrapped gifts for the kids so I could get home sooner to get back to working on this piece which was not completely cut yet. When I got home I was so tired from being up the night before finishing the bears that I fell asleep and didn't even work on the ducks. Christmas morning came, and I was not even in the holiday mood. It was the first time in 6 years that I woke up on Christmas morning and I was the only one in the house. No kids around with lots of excitement, nothing. So, needless to say I had absolutely no motivation. I finally made myself pick upsome stuff around the house, and put the gifts under the tree. I got dressed finally and went to pick up the kids at noon. They were excited to see me when I got there, they were handing me the gifts they had for me. That was a shock, didn't expect anything from them. We had a nice time on Christmas day. They let me work on the duck for a couple of hours, they like keeping me company as well when I am in my shop working. After the kids left at 9pm, I finished up some stuff around the house and started back on the duck at 11:30pm. I finished it finally at 7:30am just in time to get dressed and deliver it. A total of 14 hours was spent working on it this weekend. Sorry if the picture is hard to make out. I had to lean it against a light so you could get a feel for the colors of the glass. This is about 10 1/2" by about 11" or so. It is smaller than the bear height wise. The top piece of glass is clear with blue streaks thru it.

No comments: