Tuesday, April 03, 2007

What A Weekend.......

At the beginning of last week, I had nothing big planned for the weekend. A conversation with the former spouse changed all of that though. Yes, we communicate a little more now. Last weekend was his weekend to have the sprouts. I was going to have them on Sunday because he had to work, and when he has to work I get the sprouts for the day. He wanted to know if it would be ok for the sprouts to spend Saturday night at his parents house. His mom has been wanting to have them for quite some time, but apparently they could not get there schedules worked out to make that happen, or someone (adult not sprout) has been sick. So, I was more than happy to let them spend the night and most of the day Sunday with the grandparents. It was the first full weekend to myself this year.

Now the dilema came as to what to do for the weekend. On Tuesday, I thought it would be fun to redecorate one of my bathrooms. No sprouts, No problem. I told my mom what I was going to do, and she got on my dad to come down and fixed the toilet. It had a tipping issue, which it has had long before I was divorced. Now was the perfect time to pull it and figured out what it needed. Turns out it needed a complete base for the bolts to function properly. So he pulled that on Saturday and put it back on Monday. The plumbing supply place was closed, until Monday, for the parts that we needed. I already had the room cleared out and all the stuff off the walls, when my dad says "Would you like a switch to turn these 2 lights on and off at once?" He is an Electrican so that was a piece of cake for him. The problem lied in the fact that what I want does not always happen in the time frame that I need it to. I said sure are you going to do it before I paint. Yep, he got it done and changed most of the wiring there as well, he was not happy with who ever did it, some 20+ years ago, before I even moved in. He hooked up a little light for me to see better since most of the light fixtures had to come done to be able to paint. I was all set.

Saturday morning, I started taking off the very old wallpaper and border that was on some of the walls. Got the walls ready for primer and paint. I quit at about 3:00am Saturday night/Sunday morning with not all the walls primed yet. I have a deep closet in this bathroom that took most of my time and the ceiling as well. I know some of you may not even have bothered with the closet, who is going to see it anyways. Well the last people that had the house had that attitude and it was really bad. I am a some what perfectionist when it comes to that stuff. Yes, that is an annoyance to me at times.

Sunday morning came quickly as I had only about three hours of sleep and off to my parents for a shower and to get ready for church. I was painting the only bathroom with a shower in it, and did not want the moisture in the room until I was done. I made it through church and even stayed awake as well, which was a good thing because I was running the computer that puts the worship words and verses up on the screen for all to see.

After church I stopped at the store again and picked up some more supplies for the day. I got right back into finishing the room. My parents came down after church as well. I finally found the colors I wanted to use on Sunday. My mom and I picked some out on Friday night, but did not find any matching rugs and towels that we liked. Apparently that is an issue with some people, not really with me, but I rolled with it for awhile. Saturday I primed with no color picked out yet. I went to a different store and found what I was looking for. I grabbed two different wash cloths to show my mom when she got there. The one color was what we picked out on Friday and she liked the contrasting color as well. Cool! They went and got the color paint that I needed while I finished up priming, and painting the ceiling.

With only a few hours left, before the sprouts where to be back, I started in putting the color on the walls, actually the closet first. What a pain that was. I had to take a little break when the sprouts arrived, but got right back to work, and they were content with just sitting on the couch and watching a movie. They did discover some arts a crafts stuff, so while watching the movie, they created their own master pieces. Only once did the oldest ask if she could help me paint the bathroom. She was ok with, I don't think so today.

At 1am I was done, and had everything picked up and cleaned up, ready for re-assembly Monday. My dad came down while I was at work on Monday with my younger sister that works with him as well, and they put my bathroom back together. With the exception of a few things, because I might change the look of those as well.

I am changing the closet doors for one thing. My dad is going to make them for me, and I am going to put a stainglass panel in the top part of the door. I am pretty excited about that. I think I am going to paint the trim in the room as well, just to change it up a bit. That will not be as big of a project as the whole room was. The only reason I am thinking of that is because the people before me did not care if they got paint on the wood work or not.

A funny note though, I patched up a couple of spots on the walls, one was from the people before me who had decorations on the wall with tape and pulled some of the wall out when they packed up. The other was when my youngest tip something over and it put a whole in the wall. My dad while working on the toilet, saw one of the spots and put his finger through it, because he wondered what it was. He said "Did you put something on the wall?" My response was "Why did you just put your finger through it?" So, needless to say I had to patch that up again.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I hate to paint, and do it as little as possible. Unless your trim is original to the house I would buy new stuff. It is not that expensive and WAY WAY easier to paint before putting up. Most places will even cut it to size if you flirt with them a little bit and make them feel all manly and rescueing.

maynard said...

I am still in the thinking phase on the trim. :) So, it all may get replaced someday, or painted. Right now, I am happy with it! I am going to replace the window soon, so that will be a deciding factor when the time comes. If I play my cards right, my dad will make new trim for me and then he will have it all finished. :)