Wednesday, September 19, 2007

To My Grandmother.....

A little tribute to my grandmother who gave up her life here on earth to be at a better place this morning. What a life she lived.

When she was born her mother carried her around on a pillow because she had a heart condition and wasn't suppose to live long at all. Always out to prove everyone they were wrong about her. At 94 she has seen ALOT in her life. From going to school in a horse and wagon to seeing people travel by plane.

She was an identical twin, just like I am. In this case it was everyother generation. I always enjoyed listening to her stories of her life. Living through the depression and having nothing to baking 17 pies in one week before Thanksgiving at the age of 92 and her family not seeing one of those pies. They were all given away. She would turn around and bake 7 more for the family dinner.

Everyone has some regrets in their lives that they wish they could have another chance at. I have no idea if my grandmother had any. She always talked about the things she did to help others, and still get things she wanted to do done.

My only regret is that I did not get to see my grandmother lately, within the past month or so. I saw her at the family reunion July 29th and what a time she had then. She could hardly walk but was as sharp as a tac that day. I wanted to take the sprouts to see her this past weekend, but did not because my cousin was in town and went to see her. She got really tired if lots of people came to visit her in a day. So I gave the day up and now I am glad for that but sad still the same. Life will go one in our family and we will all be better people when looking at back and remembering the good times we had when grandma was around.

3 comments:

Patty said...

May God's peace be upon you during your time of lose.

We had a resident pass on Tuesday morning, it was a blessing for her.

Grandma may have moved on, but her love and memories are yours to keep close forever.

Get in touch if you need to talk.

maynard said...

Thank you. We knew the time was near, but I just did not expect it to be hours away when they told me she turned for the worse.

We will be celebrating her life next weekend. My oldest has a birthday tomorrow and we did not want to have it then. That will give me enough time to try to practice a poem for the service, not that I will be able to get through it though.

Patty said...

No reason to hide your grief, just don't allow it to overshaddow your love for your Grandmother. She is very proud of you and your girls.